The following info was provided by Coach Justin Childs from Delta Streets Academy. Everyone come out and enjoy a great day of basketball.
On Monday, November 25th during Thanksgiving holidays, DSA will be hosting the 1st Annual “Delta Duels” at the Harrison HPER Complex on the Campus of Mississippi Valley State University. The “Delta Duels” will feature some very intriguing matchups that showcase 2 of the top 3 MAIS teams against 2 of the top MHSAA 1A contenders. A few of the games will include:
12:15 Greenville Christian vs Marshall Academy (Boys)
– Marshall comes in to this game pre-season ranked as the #1 team in MAIS 3A, while Greenville Christian comes in ranked #5 in MAIS 2A. Both teams should be fun to watch, but Marshall is going to be hungry after a State Runner-up finish last season and a great chance to win it all this season.
1:30 Ingomar HS vs Central Hinds Academy (Girls)
– Coach Trent Adair brings in a perennial power, the Ingomar Lady Falcons, to the Delta to take on the Central Hinds Academy Lady Cougars. Ingomar, which has a combined record of 106-8 over the last 3 years, will look to keep up their winning ways against Coach Henry Gantz and his Lady Cougars. Gantz’s squad had a successful run in the post season last year (2nd Round of Overall Tournament) and is returning a nucleus of talent, including a group that went 74-1 over the course of their Junior High careers. This should be an exciting, high-scoring matchup.
2:45 Ingomar HS vs Heritage Academy (Boys)
– In perhaps the most anticipated matchup of the day, Heritage Academy (#1 ranked team in the entire MAIS) will take on the Ingomar High School Falcons, an early favorite in the MHSAA 1A Classification. Coach Russ Whiteside and his HA Patriots return the majority of their Overall Championship team from the 2018-2019 season, including Senior Forwards Jared Long and Eli Acker. Ingomar is coming off a 34-5 season in which they fell 51-56 in the MHSAA 2A State Championship game to Bay Springs. This is expected to be a hard-fought game that might just come down to the last possession.
5:15 West Bolivar vs Presbyterian Christian (Boys)
– Like the 2:45 matchup, this game features a team (West Bolivar) that looks to challenge Ingomar for the MHSAA 1A Championship and a team (Presbyterian) that looks to challenge Heritage for the MAIS Overall Championship. West Bolivar, led by Coach Cedric Armstrong, finished 21-10 last season and comes in to this season looking for more success as they drop down from 2A to 1A. Presbyterian, led by Coach Josh Sherer, comes in as one of the top 3 teams in the entire MAIS. Much like Ingomar/Heritage, this has the potential to be the best matchup of the day.
6:30 Delta Streets Academy vs Grace Christian (Boys)
– In the finale, the host DSA Lions will take on the Grace Christian School Eagles out of Louisville. And while this will be the first ever matchup between these two respective schools, the coaches are all too familiar with each other. Grace Christian is led by Jason Morgan, who was the high school coach of DSA coach Justin Childs. Both teams are relatively young, but what they lack in experience, they make up for in potential and talent. The final matchup of the day should also be very competitive.